How to Get the Best Gas Mileage Out of Your Vehicle
Whether you have an eco-friendly hybrid, a zippy sedan, or a powerful SUV in Lincolnton, there are ways that you can improve your gas mileage easily without having to modify your vehicle! Check out our guide at Toyota of Gastonia to find out how to start saving more money on gas, and contact us if you have any questions.
Tips to Improve Your Gas Mileage
- Remove unnecessary cargo. If you’re carrying around extra weight while driving like random boxes of clothing to donate, or a golf bag that hasn’t been put to use in a while, that means your engine has to use up more fuel to move your car forward.
- Adhere to speed limits. If you don’t drive faster than you need to on a daily basis, your engine doesn’t have to work as hard, which conserves gas.
- Accelerate and brake gradually. If you force your vehicle to start and stop within shorter periods of time, it will require more power and more fuel to do so. If you start and stop gradually, it requires less fuel.
- Use coasting to save energy. Take advantage of natural momentum to coast or slow down when it is safe to do so on Charlotte roads–gravity is free!
- Pump it up. Make sure to maintain good tire health and tire pressure in order to improve your fuel economy. Improper tire pressure affects the rolling resistance of your vehicle, aka how much force is required on the tires to create forward motion.
- Strategize your trips. If you have to run several errands, doing them all in one trip uses less gas than spacing out trips across a day or across a few days. Why? Because it requires less energy to start an engine that is already warmed up than it does to let the engine cool down and start it up again.
- Roll your windows up at higher speeds. At high speeds, wind entering your vehicle creates drag, which means you have to use more gas to maintain highway speeds with your windows down than it does to use air conditioning at the same speeds.
- Take to the highways. If you are deciding between two routes that have similar mileage, opt for the one with fewer stop signs and stop lights and more continuous stretches of road. As most city/highway mpg ratings indicate, you typically consume less gas on highways in the long run because you don’t have to keep stopping and starting. The exception to this are hybrid vehicles like the new Toyota Prius which use regenerative braking to increase city fuel economy.
Rely on Toyota of Gastonia for Your Automotive Needs
Check out more tips from us to be a more informed car owner and shopper in Hickory. Whether you’re wondering why your car is leaking water, when to replace your brakes, or anything else, visit our service department and our expert technicians can help you out.
More From Toyota of Gastonia
Whether you’re an NBA fan or not, it’s big news the 2019 NBA All-Star Game is taking place in Charlotte, NC. Because of this, the 2019 NBA All-Star weekend will bring a lot of activities and events to the Charlotte, NC area. Here are just a few of things you can look forward to with…
For outdoor enthusiasts near Charlotte, you’ll find a wealth of options, including hiking, fishing, and even golf. However, there’s only one place in North Carolina that combines all these activities in one family-friendly package. Crowders Mountain has something for everyone, so take a look at your wealth of options today. Contact Us Crowders Mountain Trails Crowders…
The 2019 Toyota 4Runner is a practical SUV for people in Lincolnton who need their vehicle to adapt to whatever they need, from road trips to commutes and everything in between. Take a closer look at the Toyota 4Runner interior features and dimensions, then browse our inventory to find a Toyota 4Runner for sale at Toyota of Gastonia!…