How to Prep Your Car for Winter
As temperatures begin to drop, it’s time for Shelby drivers to run down their winter car prep checklist! Taking care of your vehicle at this time of year is essential for a number of reasons, including keeping you safe and improving the residual value of your vehicle. Check out these winter driving tips to help winterizing your vehicle, and count on the service department at Toyota of Gastonia to keep your vehicle in great shape this winter.
Winter Car Inspection
Winter is hard on your car and, of course, makes it more difficult to drive. That’s why it’s essential for you to get several different vehicle components inspected to make sure they’re in good working order:
- Fluids – Make sure that your vehicle has the correct amounts of antifreeze and water to prevent the radiator fluid from freezing. While you’re at it, add some freeze-resistant windshield wiper fluid and make sure your oil is in good shape.
- Battery Health – If your battery is already running low by summer’s end, all it takes is a particularly cold morning or evening, and it could completely give out, leaving you stranded. Check your battery’s health, and be sure to replace the battery if necessary.
- New Tires – If the air in your tires is getting low, make sure they’re properly inflated. But if your tire tread is already pretty worn, you definitely want to replace them before winter, so you have maximum traction in snow, sleet, rain, and ice.
- Brakes – Your stopping distance is increased on snow and ice, so you want to make sure your brakes are in good shape. Bring them in for repair or brake replacement.
Winter Car Supplies
Getting stranded on the side of the road in the middle of the winter can be dangerous, especially if you venture well north of Mt. Holly where it gets even colder. Make sure your car is stocked with these important emergency supplies:
- Full winter gear (coat, hat and gloves, scarf)
- Ice scraper/snow brush
- Secure container of coolant
- Sand or kitty litter to gain tire traction on ice
Get Winter Driving Tips from Toyota of Gastonia’s Service Center
The factory-trained and certified technicians at Toyota of Gastonia have the parts, diagnostics equipment, tools, and expertise to handle all your winter car prep! Driving your car in winter can be intimidating, but it’s easy when you’ve got us on your side. Check out our current service specials, and when you’re ready to take the next step, schedule winter car service online. Our service center is located at 4821 Wilkinson Blvd in Gastonia, NC, and you can also reach us at (855) 889-9794.